The Manitoba Social Science Teachers’ Association
The MSSTA MTS PD Day will be held October 21st, 2016 at Kildonan East Collegiate. This year we are proud to announce a partnership with the Association for Canadian Studies and Social Studies Saskatchewan to provide a second day of professional development! A subsidized rate for MSSTA Members will be provided. More information will be released soon, please check back frequently!
To purchase a MSSTA membership, click here.
Who We Are
The Manitoba Social Science Teachers’ Association is a non-profit organization run by members who volunteer their time year-round to make MSSTA a reality.
Most of our membership is composed of teachers, but we are fortunate to have members who are retired teachers, pre-service teachers, Department of Education consultants, museum professionals, and contributors/employees of popular national history and geography magazines.
The Manitoba Social Science Teachers’ Association has had over 50 years of working on behalf of its provincial membership. MSSTA will continue to do this by providing support, advocacy, awards, professional development, and active links to other social science and education groups.
We strive to ensure the Social Sciences continue to be a valuable and significant part of K-12 education in Manitoba for every student.
MSSTA membership is open to those with an interest in the promotion of Social Studies education in the province of Manitoba.
MSSTA provides its membership with the following benefits and services:
- Providing a quarterly journal filled with useful articles covering various history and geography topics suitable for the Manitoba K-12 curriculum
- Providing the annual SAGE conference where we coordinate workshops, new materials, curriculum information, and a chance to network with many other K-12 Social Studies teachers from across Manitoba
- We offer financial assistance to programs which support Social Studies’ education and teacher development (including provincial programs, research, and scholarship/bursary awards – to see more, please click here)
- We promote teacher attendance at PD programs such as the Teachers’ Institute on Parliamentary Democracy, The CCGE Summer Institutes, Canadian Battlefields of France – Juno Beach Centre Program
- We defend Social Studies’ place in education, and encourage members to be proactive in support of Social Studies in Manitoba
- We have active links with the Department of Education through MSSTA representatives’ membership on curriculum committees and consultants’ membership in MSSTA
- We have regular contact with universities through our board members.
- We establish links to other provincial social studies organizations
- We provide a website offering social studies teachers updated information about PD opportunities and information from MSSTA and external organizations.
ArcGIS opportunity! MB K-12 students uncover diverse qualities & characteristics of their communities’ landmarks. ow.ly/d/53gL